Wizard Ability Suggestions

Discussion in 'Wizard Class' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

At the current moment I am looking to finalize a good majority of spells for each class. However, there's always room for suggestions. Before I post any comprehensive lists of abilities I would like to offer up the chance for ability suggestions. If there's a spell or game mechanic related to the Wizard that you would love to see in the game let me know by posting below.

Currently our Wizard class is taking the route of having fire and ice abilities. With the addition of spells that might be an alternate energy source (non elemental).

All classes will have Offensive Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Active Buff/debuff abilities.

-Preston

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Niav

Niav New Member

forsaken legends wizard class ideas - frost skill and general skill suggestions

I Feel that the spell system should reward players for specing deep into specific play styles. More devotion to these skills or class of spells adds additional percs to the skills speced into. Without this i feel like there will be homogenization among the classes, which would personally kill it for me. I want a reason for players to make new characters even if its the same class. I want to spec into frost and FEEL like I am a frost wizard, I want to spec into rogue and FEEL like a sneaky rogue. I don't want everyone to have the same skills/build and can easily just swap things around for the next best thing/patch rolls out and now everyone is the same thing again. Rift had the right idea in a way, but with your system you have even more possibilities and that is what will keep people(me) around. now onto the skills.
    General:
    {Chill} (Debuff) Chill is a general debuff that is placed on target(s) when struck by certain spells. The debuff has stacks, the more stack the slower the target. When the stacks reach a 100 the target is frozen in place (snare) for a few seconds. the target can cast spells and preform attacks, but can not move. crits add more stacks.
    Spells:
    {Ice Orb} (Spell) (Instant) The wizard shoots a large ball of ice that explodes after a certain duration as it travels to the target. This spell does not track the target. Ice orb just does more damage the closer the target(s) are to the center of the explosion.
    When Ice Orb is mildy speced into it gains:
    -{Shatter} (Spell Perc) When Ice Orb explodes, small shards of ice eject from the explosion dealing additional damage and placing the chill debuff on those affected. Target(s) closer to the center will obtain more stacks of chill.
    When Ice Orb is heavily speced into it gains:
    -{Shattered Spawn} (Spell Perc) When Ice Orb explodes 2 small Ice Elementals will spawn and chase the nearest target, exploding on impact adding 5 chill stacks and damaging the affected. Ice Elementals despawn after a few seconds.
    {Frost armor} (Buff) (Instant) Wizard covers himself in Ice protecting himself from physical attacks. Adding armor and slowing physical attackers. Each physical attack adds 1
    chill stack.
    When Frost Armor is mildy speced into it gains:
    -{chilling steps} (buff perc) The wizards frost armor is so cold that it freezes the ground beneath him. As the wizard walks the ground is left frozen slowing enemies that trail behind.
    Every few seconds a stack of chill is added. Frost armor also gains an additional stack per attack (2 chill stacks after being physically struck).
    When Frost Armor is heavily speced into it gains:
    -{Shed the Ice} (Buff Perc) The Wizard sheds his Frost Armor and shoots it in the direction of the target, dealing damage and applying 10 chill stacks. This is casted by recasting Frost Armor to minimize bar space. Puts Frost Armor on a 30 sec cooldown. Frost Armor chill stacks increase to 3 per attack.
    {Icy Shield} (Spell Buff) The wizard is able to control the water in the atmosphere around him, creating a protective barrier of ice that absorbs damage. The wizard is only able to create the shield every 45 secs.
    When Icy Shield is mildy speced into it gains:
    -{Strong as Steel} (Spell Perc) The Wizard's shield becomes as strong as steel, attacks bounce back reflecting small amounts of damage back at the attackers.
    When Icy Shield is heavily speced into it gains:
    -{Improved Icy Shield} (Spell Perc) Icy shield gains 2 stacks. The Wizard is allowed to cast Icy Shield as long as he has it charged. Charges ever 45sec with a max of 2 stacks.
    {Frostbolt} (Spell) (2 sec cast) The wizard shoots a bolt of frost at his target damaging and slowing the target. adds 10 chill stacks
    When Frostbolt is mildy speced into it gains:
    -{Improved Frostbolt} (Spell Perc) Frost bolts casting time is reduced to 1.5 sec cast.
    When Frostbolt is heavily speced into it gains:
    -{Solid Ice} (Spell Perc) Frostbolt crits mini stun the target (0.02 secs)
    {Defrost} (Spell) (Instant) The wizard defrosts the target stripping the target of all his chill stacks, dealing damage based off the number of stacks the target possesses.
    When defrost is mildy speced into it gains:
    -{Rechill} (Spell Perc) Defrost adds half the number off chill stacks to the target after stripping them from the target.
    when defrost is heavily speced into it gains:
    -{improve Rechill} (Spell Perc) The target is stunned for 2 secs from being heated and cooled so rapidly.
    Those are some ideas for wizard skills and the skill system in general. I have plenty of more ideas.

Bloodknight and Preston like this.
  3. Preston

There's quite a lot in there, and a lot of cool suggestions/ideas. I do want players to feel rewarded for playing a certain spec full and through, while also allowing variability. If I may, how would you/do you feel about additional specialized to come from other system? For example: A spell like freeze and shatter: Freeze would entomb someone in ice and shatter would explode the ice outward. Now those play on eachother, but what if we added an item in game (say a wand) that made it so shatter would additionally freeze all surrounding enemies as it shatters outward. This is a just a off the top of my head example. But the idea, that we could introduce more to a build through items, or ancient stones (extra perks).

With your suggestions, you're basically building around a spell? So in theory your idea also focus on reducing the numbers of spells that one can cast but introducing more attributes/effects per spell to compensate.

I do like this area of thought about spells how should work, but we also don't want to make paths like these the only viable build. Will definitely take some fine tuning to make sure one path isn't overly more effective than others.

-Preston

4. Niav

Niav New Member

Finding specs through other means only makes it better! Finding niche items is such a huge world will always be fun.

building around spells that work together. these in a since all work together. I really wanted to build around the chill debuff you make them directly work together. I can also see splashing from other classes to bring the chill debuff, maybe the technician or archer.

Yes instead of having your bars flooded with skills or buffs just buff certain spells based off the dedication to said spell.
    I also agree i do not like the idea of one build being the only viable build. I feel like many builds should bring something to the table that others can't. Thats why i talked about class homogenization because if you are exactly the same as the guy next to you, then whats the point?

5. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

Im not exactly sure where to put this but i dont know about you guys but im tired of using wands and staffs as a wizard, i was wondering what if we had a scythe or a magical glove of some sort to use, with a scythe it would be cool to add some magical melee spells with the scythe involved. Could do a lot with using your hand without needing a weapon for a bunch of the spells as well.

6. codetrain

codetrain New Member

A floating effect that makes you float a meter or so

7. Bloodnrust

Bloodnrust New Member

Niav said:
    I Feel that the spell system should reward players for specing deep into specific play styles. More devotion to these skills or class of spells adds additional percs to the skills speced into.

Totally agree.
    Will there be a restriction on the amount of training or skill points, and will there be a restriction on the amount of skills or spells you can carry?
    I like the idea of having a finite amount of skills and spells available in battle as it creates a greater amount of diversity in builds. To build further on what Niav said you could have tiers to spells with diminishing returns or make ability's and spells more powerful the more of that classes line you are carrying. Another suggestion on Niav's train of thought would be to allow highly trained classes to have a spell or ability that would/could be a combination of 2 or 3 spells or effects, but make it something to strive for and be worth achieving. Ok, it has taken me 9 months to finally make the spell of STOMP THE CRAP OUTTA YOU WITH A FREEZE IN PLACE DOT AND 42 NUKE FIREBALLS IN HALF A SECOND. Now I am going to start training a warrior combination ability of LAUNCH YOU INTO SPACE, DESTROY THREE TOWNS AND IMPREGNATE ALL TROLLS WITHIN 50O YARDS.
    Well I am sure you get what I am talking about;)

Stay safe.

8. Preston

There will be limits on how many points are spendable on abilities.

This is what we want :) However, there might be times when you need a person to go deeply speced into the tank tree to tank up mobs, or a full blow healer that maximizes it's potential. Outside of that we expect a lot of really unique and rewarding builds to come out.

-Preston