Technician Ability Suggestions

Discussion in 'Technician Class' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

At the current moment I am looking to finalize a good majority of spells for each class. However, there's always room for suggestions. Before I post any comprehensive lists of abilities I would like to offer up the chance for ability suggestions. If there's a spell or game mechanic related to the Technician that you would love to see in the game let me know by posting below.

Think of the technician class as a supporting role in groups. However, we do plan on introducing combat related spells such as placing a sentry that shoots fire at nearby enemies, etc.

All classes will have Offensive Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Active Buff/debuff abilities.

-Preston

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Thomas Huayra

Thomas Huayra Member

My concept for the technician class:

(main roll: debuff)

• main skill: slinging 3 projectiles in short succession. This is at a small range compared to archers, and the projectiles explode on impact, possibly with an armor debuff. It's slightly AoE (3 targets, small radius) An example of visual representation is a Treek skill from swtor, but there it's healing and not dps
    • placing triple mines. These mines may leave a burning bleed.
    • caltrops for run speed debuff
    • Throwing up walls. These walls will stop any arrows or magic from passing through. They can be freely placed much like Mei in Overwatch. They can temporarily shut off entrances or simply be used in the field to protect against ranged damage and quickly protect allies from focused fire. These walls can be destroyed by dps as well.
    • Ultimate dps skill, large CD: firering a projectile that will heavily damage everything in its path over a length of (for instance) 60 feet. I imagine it to look quite like the video below at 3:35, except lower by the ground, a bit smaller and shot by the engineer, possibly using crazy sling skills.
    • a turret that gets everything within a relatively large radius out of stealth and debuffs outgoing dps for opponents.

That's my quick draft for a suggestion for this class.

Sorry I couldn't just post a youtube link without it automatically being turned into an embedded video, without even remembering the fact that I set it to start at 3:35

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  3. Kyo

Kyo New Member

I have always been a fan of auras and I think the Technician class tree is the one that best supports the idea of auras.

I would really like to see beams eject a certain aura and this would also help with potential hybrid builds for other classes. These auras could range from damage mitigation, mana/health regeneration, damage increasing auras to more offensive ones affecting enemies such as damage reflection, slow, damage reduction etc.

I would like to clarify that I'd probably prefer if the auras available in this specific class tree were more in line with something not already available in other class trees. As such, potentially steer away from having damage/healing over time in there but instead have more utility-based auras. Some very desirable auras could be increased experience gain or drop rate of certain things, though I can appreciate if this is implemented in other ways already.

Specific auras I like the idea of:

-Mana regeneration aura
    -Construction fortification auras/other auras affecting player owned constructions and structures. A potential powerful one could be making structures invulnerable for a certain length of time only available during a specific instance, allowing you to focus time and resources elsewhere while you know your base is safe (though I appreciate the balance implications of something like that)
    -Movement speed aura
    -Slow/gravity aura - could affect movement/attack speed along with the rate of health/mana regeneration etc. If it was affecting gravity it could potentially injure affected foes if they were trying to move a lot as well.

I have always wanted to see auras in MMO's but they have always been very limited due to balancing and other reasons I imagine. I suppose in essence auras are merely a way to enhance a group of people and support in that way while debuffing enemies but not actually being able to do much. I think it would be cool if the technician class tree implemented auras in some way, however, the examples above were merely me thinking out loud. Hope it was helpful as a consideration even if nothing else.

LifeForce likes this.
  4. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

Technician class seems more like a support class to me so based on that i was thinking of a few things.
    [Charged Up] - Call upon a lightning bolt to charge yourself and nearby allies to increase damage, movement speed, and attack speed by 10% for 10 seconds. 30 second cooldown
    [Shared Life] - Channel your very being into an ally increasing their damage by 80% but making you unable to move until the channel ends.
    5 second channel(can be stopped early) with a 3 second cooldown.
    [Blacksmith in a box] - Throw a box on the ground that opens into a quick vendor that can sell general items and buys your junk(can also repair gear if repairs are added). The creator of the store in a box has a chance (given there was enough junk) to create an item at a small fee.
    [Mana Machine] - Quickly build a small machine that gives an ally that uses it a mana potion that heals 20% Mana. 10 second cast time. 5 minute cooldown. Lasts for 3 minutes. The potion lasts for 2 minutes or until use, it has a cooldown of 5 minutes.

5. Bloodnrust

Bloodnrust New Member

Any skill, spell or process that brings in an outside influence to tank or damage for a class is IMHO incredibly powerful. Most games will place a penalty on the class such as make them squishy or low DPS. We know the scenario:
    You set up your Turret of 50 Gazzilion Death Rays and Box of Uber Heals and Field of Poison Punji Stakes and lure a boss in to your ambush from hell, it turns to custard and in a perfect world you enable your Boots of Escaping Pissed Off Bosses and make good your escape clinging to the 2 hit points remaining. You finally escape the pissed of one and sit there giggling insanely, you survived another one. To me that is the allure of playing that sort of class, incredibly powerful but prone to Murphy's Law in a big way.

With the mechanic you are proposing of being able to use any spells or ability's from any class I can see the first two spells I would be using would be turrets, I think they would become an indispensable part of any load out, but you are a Tank Class, so you can sit there all day and soak up the damage while your turrets do the damage and you dot away merrily. You can see where this is heading.

If on the other hand, you had to push way up the Tech's line to get turrets OR the only way you could get turrets was to be a Tech OR turrets were only one third as powerful for non Techs, some sort of trade off, I think it would be a more even playing field, because in my experience the biggest piss off for any MMO PvP'r is class balance and bloody nerf sticks.

I am not moaning about the class, in Firefall my favorite class was an Engineer and in Guild Wars 2 it is an Engineer, they are awesome to play, I am just putting this up as a caution as I have been a player of way to many games that have not thought classes through properly in the conception stage and can't understand why their player base is dwindling as they hurl the mighty nerf bat around with gay abandon. Hopefully I am panicking for nothing and you already have this in hand:)

Stay safe.

ApeX likes this.
  6. ApeX

ApeX New Member

Tech Turrets. Harmonics Turret Makes bubble Returns 75% of damage back at enemy. No healing within the bubble. Remote installation places bubble over enemy reflects 45% back at them and disallows healing. Weponization Station. Makes small field if you pass thru receive armor damage buff causing enemies to take damage when they hit you based on the type of armor you wear. Refresh Station. Drop them as you travel keeps everyone topped up. All sorts of non combat things.

7. Ninate

Ninate New Member

I would like to see shield bubbles, similar to winston's shield in overwatch. I believe it would be a great supportive skill for techs to give to their archers/wizards/healers in their party.

Another supportive ability I think would make a great addition is a decoy tower, in my opinion this would be a well balanced skill because while in normal pve fights you would be able to distract the enemy with it, but in boss fights which can attack and target multiple characters you may only be able to stop single target attacks but its AOE attacks would still be a threat.

ApeX likes this.