Tank Ability Suggestions

Discussion in 'Tank Class' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

At the current moment I am looking to finalize a good majority of spells for each class. However, there's always room for suggestions. Before I post any comprehensive lists of abilities I would like to offer up the chance for ability suggestions. If there's a spell or game mechanic related to the Tank that you would love to see in the game let me know by posting below.

All classes will have Offensive Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Active Buff/debuff abilities.

-Preston

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Kyo

Kyo New Member

The most common way of tanking is simply having the foe hit you while taunting them off your group. How healers would then work is they would usually mitigate damage or just heal people. I'm going to refer specifically to Neverwinter, when that was the first time I experienced the way of tanking where rather than always having the full attention of the enemy, you were able to transfer some of the damage from an ally to yourself.

I think this concept was really good as it would allow you to mitigate the damage your group took (especially in certain encounters where squishy damage dealers could get one-shot, allowing them that extra chance) at the expense of your own health. If used recklessly or without thought you would die and your group would be without a tank and likely wipe. If used correctly, it would save the lives of teammates and allow for a successful encounter in what would otherwise have been almost impossible with the composition and gear levels at the time.

I think a balance would be great. Have certain ways of transferring damage from potentially specific allies to yourself or have a buff or link. It could even be a technician class ability where you placed a device of some kind and if people clicked it they were linked with you for X seconds where you would absorb a certain amount of the damage they took. Should be worth noting that a device like that could also be a technician class ability.

Other abilities I would like to see would be abilities that would help a tank get aggro on mobs. Rather than taunting and generating aggro in the standard way, perhaps an idea could be to simply block off the path the creatures had to your back-line and forcing them to go through you to get there. Perhaps altering the terrain to simply making it impassable except for where you were stood. I appreciate this would hinder melee damage dealers in the group, but merely ideas here.

Another idea would a barrier of some kind or a vacuum that focused all ranged damage on yourself and sucked in spells/projectiles. This would have a limited range etc. so would encourage movement to ensure you would be positioning yourself to absorb as many as possible while not killing yourself.

Lastly I suppose having some sort of way to mitigate the damage by spreading it to other people would be interesting, obviously this would mean you would have to collaborate with the healer but it would mean you could potentially absorb more damage and sort of keep the flow of damage more controlled if used correctly.

This is merely meant to give ideas of what could be done, I think it's really cool what you guys are going for and I hope it goes well.

Edit: the ability to displace enemies would be cool as well. Whether it's pulling them to you or pushing them away. I personally think pulling them towards you would make more sense as you could also set up for some good AoE with a Wizard etc. that way.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  3. Preston

Hey, lot of great suggestions/ideas. There will definitely be a mitigate pain ability to transfer damage from x player to the tank. Creating a vacuum that focuses all ranged damage on yourself and sucks in spells/projectiles is cool, but possibly not something we can do. With how our spells work they don't actually create an individual object that has damage upon impact. If that was the case there would be hundreds of thousands of arrows/objects/spells going on every moment on the server. So we might not be able to do this, but will look into alternatives (possible a zone/aura like mitigate pain that absorbs damage from allies around you from ranged attacks). There's ways to get around it and we'll look into it.

There will definitely be displace abilities. Pull/charge are already in the game currently.

-Preston

4. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

I noticed in a lot of mmorpgs the main problem for aggro seems to be mostly just groups and mobs being introduced later in the fight that immediately run away to someone like a healer or dps(most of the time a healer). For the mobs being introduced later in the fight i was thinking of maybe utlizing that pull into a type of aggro pull such as,
    "Get Over Here" - Shoot/Throw a shard object with a string attached to the target and pull them to you, afterwards pull the object out of the target causing X bleed damage over 2 seconds. This skill matches the threat level the enemy had for its original target.

For the mob aggro issue i find it depends on the game but most times it appears to be a lack of multitarget aggro attacks. However to make tanking harder for hybrids to give them a challenge im thinking of maybe a skill that can only be unlocked.
    2 skills i was thinking of was:

"Confusion Shout" - AoE taunt that dazes your target and causes them to believe that all attacks are coming from you. Lasts for 5 seconds with a 10 second cooldown. Does not effect other players.

"Anger Issues" - Start yelling like a madman as you perform other skills, causing enough of a nuisance for the enemy mobs. Toggle skill you can turn off and on depending on whether you are tanking or not. Causes all of your attacks to generate 100% additional threat but deal 30% less damage.

Id say "Confusion Shout" is sort of self explanatory, just an AoE Taunt forcing everything to target you for a period of time. However "Anger Issues" id like to say is a "tank with any class" type of skill, allowing any class skill to generate 100% more threat at the cost of 30% damage. Allowing a tank to use a more variety of skills than just tank class skills. They still wont be able to hold aggro the greatest leaving a bit of aggro problems but leaving a bit of a challenge for the tanks and giving them more diversity, so you wont always see a shield and sword tank but maybe a 2hand sword tank or a wizard tank or maybe even an archer or rogue tank.

Having to unlock these 2 skills would show that people are willing to tank (or want to tank) and would like to continue this path further. Id say maybe have a questline unlocked after tanking a certain number of dungeons. Considering the dungeon system so far itll be weird to kind of fit this in but i was thinking maybe a mixture of who had aggro the most, who received the most healing, who took the most damage, and who mitigated the most damage. The only reason i chose those 4 was because in order to successfully defeat a dungeon you would most likely (still not 100% sure this is just from experience) have 1 person be near the top if not at the top of all 4 of those categories who would be the tank, otherwise you would be very likely to fail, However with Forsaken Legends it may be completely different so those category suggestions would be somewhat irrelevant.

5. Aanathan

Aanathan New Member

How about an ability that makes mobs almost blind to the other party members? Sort of like they go into tunnel vision and only see the tank. Or even a Phalanx ability that throws 2 or 3 shields to the side of the tank that prevents the mob from moving past them? A shove ability? Disrupts?

The way I look at tanks is kind of like that of a bully. When the bully grabs you by the shirt and pins you to the wall, you don't really focus on the other people there, and if you do, you need to get out of the bully's grip to do anything.

6. Ravedragon

Ravedragon New Member

As a tank in multiple games I would suggest a few things to be honest.

A single target taunt with a short cool down, while the area taunt with a bit longer cool down, and even a aggro puller that yanks aggro from someone else that got it by 'accident' or not where it's needed.

Also have activated passives such as stances or positions of how to be more defensive or offense. Such as Shield stance...or block stance or something of that sort. It would give more defensive bonuses but do less damage over all. Make it so you have to activate it till they die or they change the stance or just plain turn it off.

Maybe some D.O.T.'s that cause target's armor to drop or be weakened in some manor. Even having a D.O.T. for damages but over all make it so it gives debuff's to a target or a group of target's.

These are just a few suggestions for tanking that I have right now. tell me what you think.

7. Preston

Definitely a core part of any tanks kit.

I have thought about stances, but haven't come to any solid conclusions on this inclusions. I like the idea round stances, but don't want to clutter a spell bar. I think a tank at it's pure form isn't going to offer a offensive dps style. There of course will be all sort of hybrid tanks that will offer that, but at it's purest form it's a player who wants to control the field. The player who determines what enemy goes where, and how often. I leaving stances to more of a passive/mastery might be better, but will keep open minded about it.

I do like the idea of being a defensive shredder (I guess). Where you may not be doing the damage yourself, but because of your abilities you in turn make your allies do more damage. This play style will be shifted a little more towards the technician class, but I can see it's place here.

Thanks for the suggestions!

-Preston

8. Ravedragon

Ravedragon New Member

Preston likes this.
  9. Preston

"If you looking for solid ideas on abilities I'm full of ideas I can toss at ya for your look at if your interested?"

Definitely, that's the goal here to find what players want/expect. You as players might have that token idea that will just make the theme/feel of the tank just right. Would hate to miss that.

-Preston

10. Ravedragon

Ravedragon New Member

Stance Ideas

- Basic Stance (needs a name): Gives 2% defense buff per level of the mastery. Give it 10 mastery levels for a max of 20% defense buff.

- Expert Stance (needs a name): Gives a starting +15% defense buff with a +3% per level of the mastery. Give it 10 mastery levels as well for a max of 45% defense buff.

- Advance Stance (needs a name): Gives a starting +35% defense buff with a +5% per level of the mastery. Give it 10 mastery levels for a max of 85% defense buff.

- Epic stance (needs a name): Gives a starting +75% defense buff with a +10% per level of the mastery. Give it 5 mastery levels for a max of 125% defense buff.

These can be arranged in different numbers of course but this is the basic premise. The idea of getting to epic levels would be a grand idea for end game stuff and can always be added on to later down the line.

Taunt Ideas

- Single Taunt (Get over here!): A pull for aggro on a single target to start off the fights with. Generates about 75%+ aggro levels per usage. Or in the idea of mastery levels +10% per level of the mastery levels with a max of 20 for a max aggro generation of 200% on single target.

- Area Taunt (needs a name): A pull for aggro at a radius of 10 feet per level of mastery with an aggro generation of 25% per level of the mastery as well. Give it like 5 levels of mastery for a max of 125% aggro generation and 50 feet of taunt ability. Sounds like a lot but it’s meant to control the field better.

- Aggro puller (your mine!): If in the case that someone else gets the aggro such as the healer or one of the dps (yes sadly I can see this as a trolling maneuver as well), this taunt will generate a onetime aggro generation of 250% to yank it off anyone it’s on. This can ONLY be done on one target at a time. And the target becomes immune for short time if the tank losses the aggro still. Say like 20-30 seconds of immunity. Kind of like saying your nothing to me like attitude towards the user of the aggro puller.

As for the trolling maneuver, honestly yes I can see some group working on an outside boss and some other group comes up right when it’s about dead and kill steal the boss with this skill but it is still a good idea for a skill just have to figure out a mechanic to stop the kill steals to be honest. Maybe first ‘pull’ of the monster gets the loot?

These are just the ideas for those two skill sets for right now.

Other optional ideas…….

- Armor sets made for just tanking, give them stats or buffs to certain skill sets to increase the efficiency of them and all.
    - Magic items that do the same as well...whole sets of items for just tanking that can be found or crafted in the world.

Just a few ideas I had laying around lol

Preston likes this.
  11. Homemade Hero

Homemade Hero New Member

I like the idea of a "guard" skill which you can put on an ally and take 50% of their incoming damage and at the same time the ally produces less hate against mobs if the tank is in a small (~10m?) radius around the ally player. As a toggable skill. This makes tanks really playing a role as actually "tank" in pvp and pve.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  12. Laurence

Laurence Member

I know I always quote Guild Wars 1, but the way they handled shouts and stances for Warriors, Dervishes and Paragons in particular was awesome.

A lot of skills were based around gaining and losing enchantments or hexes. This leads to a lot more group play and a wider range of builds as you'd need some people to solely be enchanters or hexers etc. In larger groups it'd be one healer's job to focus solely on keeping hexes and/or conditions off the team.

Example of a tank skill:
    For 60 seconds, whenever you lose an enchantment, steal x health from all nearby foes.

This would be great combined with a skill like Mending which heals for a small amount of health per second and lasts indefinitely, but lowers mana regen while active. It'd therefore be a great skill for group tanking but in solo wouldn't allow you the energy to be invincible OP. Combined with the imaginary skill above, you could cancel it at will to give yourself a little chunk of health in a sticky situation. Synergy's where it's at!

13. Ravedragon

Ravedragon New Member

Been a while since I played GW1, but what was an enchantment again? And personally on a solid pure tank, not a paladin style or in this case a tank/healer cross over I'd say forego the mending type skill.

14. Laurence

Laurence Member

In GW1, an enchantment is essentially the main type of positive buff.

15. Ravedragon

Ravedragon New Member

ah so if somehow you got one of your buffs taken away you would get something in return....not to bad of idea just needs to be refined to be honest.