Rogue Ability Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rogue Class' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

At the current moment I am looking to finalize a good majority of spells for each class. However, there's always room for suggestions. Before I post any comprehensive lists of abilities I would like to offer up the chance for ability suggestions. If there's a spell or game mechanic related to the Rogue that you would love to see in the game let me know by posting below.

All classes will have Offensive Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Active Buff/debuff abilities.

-Preston

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Muppeteer

Muppeteer Lore Writer Staff Member

Rogues main elephant in the room is the stealth.
    I am not a fan of perma stealth/invisibility skills leaning more towards a timed stealth if invisiblity is involved i.e. can only vanish for 30 seconds.
    The other way to allow rogues to have movement benefits would be to give them rush/retreat skills that allow them to move in and out of melee range quickly (similiar to a tank charging an enemy) these skills should have cd's though to prevent abuse. Another way to deal with invisiblity might be to make it location dependant (if mechanics allow) i.e if in bushes, rocks, trees etc then they can become unseen. This seems like it would be a nightmare to code though.

A method of getting into and explaining stealth could be something along the lines of 'flash powder' briefly blinding anyone within a designated area around the rogue but not those outside of the AE

Another possible ability might be to allow a rapid multi-target stab attack. They rush forward and stab up to 3 (example number) enemies in quick succession applying a bleed.

Crowd control skills such as stuns are also a rogue associated ability that can work if they are limited by time and possibly diminishing returns. Maybe even a version that utilises the multi target attack above.

Poison use is an old favourite and could also be shared with archers

3. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

Yeah bleeds and poisons are the good old favourites of rogues, i like the idea of a limited invisibility and a rush/retreat type of skill
    maybe something along the lines of:
    Retreat - Backflip out of harms way, apply a smokebomb and turn invisible for 5seconds. 15second cooldown
    Vanish - turn invisible for up to 20seconds, any damage you dish out will cancel this effect. 30second cooldown starting upon activation. Damage can still be taken while invisible.
    Quick step - Lunge forward quickly in an attempt to stab the first target you see in the back inflicting X initial damage and X bleed damage over 5seconds. This attack will always be a critical. 10second cooldown.

and maybe for poison id say maybe a buff adding a % amount of poison damage to your attacks over X amount of time allowing it to stack 3 times or something.

4. Preston

Hey All, update on the rogues status. The Rogue in this game is going to be a shadow based character. Manipulation of shadows, being quick and decisive in striking, and of course the age ole invisibility will be his kit. There's definitely a place for Bleeds and poisons in this build, but some might come from other sources (rather than skills).

There will definitely be a spell like this in his kit :)

There will not be perma stealth, don't worry. It will have it's limitations, however, the trade off of not being invisible forever might come at the cost of increased burst/utility ;).

There will definitely be a version of this sort of spell (possibly multiple). Something like ripping multiply shadows from yourself that attack in succession when you shadow passage your way behind and enemy.

-Preston

Regnans likes this.
  5. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

I was wondering, will there be an aggro reset with stealth regardless of the mob or will it be just for lower mobs, or no aggro reset at all? I haven't really seen an invisibility without an aggro reset of some sort yet but sometimes it does get a little annoying if stealth maximizes your damage (by annoying i just mean its a nuisance to have to fight for an extra 10seconds when u could have instantly killed the mob, not really a huge deal though).

6. Preston

I'm not really sure at this point, sorry. I do know that the rogue isn't going to be bound to being only effective while stealthed. We'll give a little more flavor to the overall kit.

-Preston

Regnans likes this.
  7. Svendrae

Svendrae Member

Hit an run gives my no pleasure after a few days of ganking.
    It isn't much fun for the opposition either as they rarely have time to react before they are dead or close to it.

How about skills that have a lot of movement in the animation? Like a slippery snake that the rouge truly is, juking in and out in an unpredictable manner and maybe a couple skills with i-frames?

That way you don't have to be entirely dependent on a single play style.

If you miss a critical initiation skill or they find you in stealth before you can get to them then at least it wont be a fight that has already been decided in the first 3 seconds.

Slash n' Dash - press once to swipe at an enemy, press again to dash in the direction you are moving

Falling strike - must be within a certain range of enemy to use, appear directly above them and drop down (after a 0.15 - 0.2 sec delay) increasing crit damage by 70%

Way of the Snake - A combo attack that starts with a tiny stun (0.1 sec) staggers opponent on the 4th hit (0.1 sec) and cripples (10% movespeed redux and 30% healing redux) on the 5th consecutive hit. My logic behind this one is that while yes if you land the 1st hit, the 2nd and maybe 3rd hits are a certainty. However, if the opponent can react fast enough OR has a skill/stat that makes them resistant to stun or stun duration they can break away from the combo without feeling totally powerless once it starts.

To clarify, stun locks you from abilities, stagger only restricts you from movement.

Anyways, the point I was hoping to make is that I am faaaaaar more exited by a fight that is reactionary, depends on my timing and skill combo. Having to use hit and run is not really that fun because it either works or it doesn't. If I get caught before I initiate then I lose, if I initiate before I get caught then I win. No variables, no skill. *yawn*

8. Preston

That's the way I'm going about the rogue. With the idea of manipulation of shadows, spells like throwing a shadow at the enemy then phasing at any point to the position of that shadow would give outplay mechanics. That's just one example, but I hope the rogue class doesn't turn into a "one an done." This class will probably give us the most trouble balancing, and making it work in the game.

-Prestom

Regnans and Svendrae like this.
  9. Svendrae

Svendrae Member

Don't worry my good friend, the community will always be around to yell at you for any perceived slight or balance issue. :rolleyes:

How about a tether skill?

Something like, link your shadow to your target and if you stay in range long enough your shadow dominates theirs and causes some form of debuff or damage. Perhaps nothing CC related though, ranged CC is always over powered. Not to mention having that on a rouge.

Really happy to hear the direction you and your team have planned for this class and as always, thanks for your transparency.

10. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

A few passive/buff spells i was thinking of just now again (of course always thinking of random stuff that would be cool to see).
    [Light Footed] - Passive skill that can permanently increase your speed by a maximum of 10%
    [Shrouded Shredder] - Throw out 4 smoke bombs at an area creating a large smoke screen. While in the smoke screen you are unable to be seen or targeted creating chaos for all those who enter and deal X damage per 0.5 second until you exit the smoke screen or until it dissipates. Can still be damaged while in the smoke screen.
    [Surprise Jump] - While Shrouded Shredder is activated you can leap out of the smoke screen to a location if an enemy is in the designated area jump to the enemy instead forcing them to fall as you stab them in the shoulder for X damage. Always a critical hit. If you hit an enemy increase movement speed by 10% for 10 seconds, if you do not reduce movement speed by 10% for 5 seconds.
    [Bloodthirsty] - Your thirst for blood increases as does your excitement the more enemies there are around you, increasing your movement speed by 2% per nearby enemy for a maximum of 40% and increase your damage by 5% per nearby enemy for a maximum of 25%. Lasts for 20 seconds. 1 minute cooldown

I also have a few joke ones that would just be funny to use but most dont have much effect they would just be fun to use.
    [Gingerbread] - Throw a gingerbread at your target making them turn towards you for a second as you eat a second one and yell out "im the gingerbread man!" increasing your speed by 20% for 5 seconds.
    [The Joker] - Put on a jesters hat and start throwing ninja stars while laughing like a madman. Each star does X damage per hit.

11. Silverlock

Silverlock New Member

I wouldn't mind if stuns weren't in the game at all. Few things suck more then being stunlocked and simply not being able to do anything at all while your character dies.

The thing that attracts me most to playing rouge's is the ability to avoid combat altogether.

Regnans likes this.
  12. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

So what would a counter be against a player who is invis? Will there be other classes who can detect hidden players, or even track them?

13. Muppeteer

Muppeteer Lore Writer Staff Member

Not sure any player should have the ability to be invisible, there are many other options especially given that the combat will be action based rather than tab targeting. I think we may get abilities like smoke screens that make targeting difficult, flash bangs that blind for a short time (a second or two tops), phase walking as previously mentioned (there is a chracter in the narrative lore than can do this) and dodge skills etc over invisibility and stunlocks.

Any stuns (if there are to be any) should be very short duration (more of a daze or stagger as already mentioned) so that they provide defence but little advantage in attack ie they cannot lock a player down.

Many games employ poisons which is logical and if these are used then I would assume that players can take 'antidote' potions to remove effects if they have them in their inventory.

A rogue should be agile, fast moving and able to employ misdirection rather than some 'magical' ability to be invisible. Basically every type of attack should have an available defence, no player should feel unable to fight their opponent due a lack of counters.

14. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

I guess I should have said Stealthed instead of Invis.

15. Jage

Jage New Member

I know where Invis would work and could be balanced. Wizards/Mage types as a spell, but only active as an escape from combat and very short duration. It cannot be activated prior to combat.

Stealth wise though, I really like the stealth that is like a cloaking device. It looks like a heat effect when you move, but you go almost completely invisible when sitting still. It would be nice to see a rogue class that is silent when moving (muffled) to sneak up on things from behind, but also has ambush ability by being strategic in sitting still waiting for the target to come by.

Active combat - Silent and from the back

Ambush - Go ahead and stealth/cloak to almost invisible. Movement breaks the stealth.

16. MikeyGoWOOGA

MikeyGoWOOGA New Member

A passive that causes extra damage to be dealt from behind, or an activated ability that deals bonus damage from behind, or one that increases the power of the next attack if launched from behind the target, are the sort of things that are usually staples of Rogue classes. It also incentivizes teamwork with a tank during PvE type activities.

You're not really a totally cool ninja if you're stabbing things in the front.