Enraged?

Discussion in 'Boss Fights' started by Svendrae, May 30, 2016.

1. Svendrae

Svendrae Member

For those of us who aren't familiar with this term, it means after fighting a boss for a certain amount of time it gets hella-buffed if you can't kill it fast enough. Armor stats go up, cooldowns go down, health regen and damage go up... basically it becomes an even bigger raging monstrosity than it was to begin with.

Will we have this for all or even some bosses?

I'd like to imagine that it would take out the possibility to solo play the game 100% since I cant just sit there on a ledge and fire arrows into a raid boss' eye socket from a safe distance until they finally keel over.

Works for me since I prefer solo play yet, I don't hesitate to use an unbeatable (as solo) boss for an excuse to make some friends and raid together.

2. Kazumi

Kazumi Member

LOL haha, yeah, I would love to see this kind of bosses in game. I, for one, am pretty skilled. I can say for sure that I would be able to solo some pretty hard bosses. But I would love to play with less skilled persons and be friend with them.

3. Albane

Albane New Member

The problem with enraged is that it was used as a way to build a loot wall in games. The first time I remember it being implemented was in WoW and it was put in place to prevent players from defeating bosses with strategies outside of the box. This is why all boss fights eventually had mods built for them, that made the game a follow the bouncy ball with mods mandatory.

I do not like the Enraged mechanic as it was put in place to reward gear over skill and strategy and simplified all boss fights. I would much rather see something put in place that rewards skills, strategy and patience over who has better loot.

4. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

Id have to agree with Albane a little more here, as much as it is a good idea in a more skill based MMORPG its more wasted due to it relying on gear based combat over skill based combat, however i would like to see maybe a random midfight enrage type of thing for 5-10seconds so the boss can 1hko or 2hko people keeping them on their toes and making those who dont pay attention pay the price.

Regnans likes this.
  5. Svendrae

Svendrae Member

That would definitely add more flavor to a fight and I'm all about that.
    As long as there is at least some warning or graphical identifier that lets me know I'm about to get rekt then yeah, this could work.
    Unlike in BDO where the raid bosses randomly 1 shot throngs of top tier people without any warning or time to dodge.

Regnans likes this.
  6. LifeForce

LifeForce New Member

Yeah i was thinking of some kind of animation that makes them change and gives them an easily seen buff to give people time to react but not to make the animation too long, maybe 2second animation to give u time to notice and then react really quickly.

7. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hey all,

While enraged is not a new concept and has it's place in many games, I'm not sure it will play in ours. When I look at all the MMO/RPG's I've played the boss fights can become a little dull or repetitive. Basically it just comes down to another high health creatures that does more or less the same thing but in a different manor. In Forsaken Legends we want to creature boss fights that are unique, challenging, and interactive. I don't want/won't add in a boss that just stands there smashing a hammer down on players while you guys stand there and burst it down. That's not fun, or even exciting.

Things like adding a "enraged" mechanic for brief periods of time during a fight are definitely possible, but I wouldn't add a "kill this boss before 2 minutes or die" boss (unless we make a little side quest/achievement out of one for fun). I think a large amount of time will be put forth in designing the bosses for Forsaken Legends so that they fit the idea from above when we get to that point. Hopefully we can creature some really unique scenarios for bosses that players will enjoy, rather than them just being another part of the grind.

-Preston

Dexy likes this.
  8. Kazumi

Kazumi Member

Hmm, well, my experience in gaming isn't most focused on MMORPGs, it's mostly on console games. We see enraged in thousands of games, not even need to make an example for how strong is the term. However, in most of those games, there is no gearing or leveling mechanic. There is just pure skill. When a boss become idiotically powerful when you reach a treshold, what can you do? Well, just dodge even more crazily than before and hope that you won't be cornered. I don't see why it won't be the case here.

9. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Well in terms of enraged from the OP points, it's more of a consequence of time (more stats). Game's without gearing/leveling it's more designed to just make an event hard. A lot of MMO's enraged basically make it a timer. So if you fail to kill a boss in a certain time it become near impossible. We wouldn't do that. I'd rather go the route of making the bosses unique and challenging through other areas, not just raw stat increases. Something where as the fight goes on the boss becomes more aware (more abilities to take on non-aggro taking players as an example). I would personally steer clear of enraged mechanics in favor of a more challenging skill based boss.

-Preston

Regnans, Svendrae, Dexy and 1 other person like this.
  10. Svendrae

Svendrae Member

The short burst rage sounds really cool.

I am even more giddy about this game than before, I really look forward to this new frontier in boss fight mechanics. They'll, be something I probably couldn't imagine, I imagine.

YAY

Preston likes this.
  11. MikeyGoWOOGA

MikeyGoWOOGA New Member

I never played WoW. I played FFXI, and when they added an enrage mechanic to a lot of "Notorious Monsters," the state reason was so that HNMLSes and, more likely, gilsellers would stop trying to gank a claim to some HNM and kite it around while they took two hours to gather the manpower needed to actually fight it. Something like this is necessary if an MMO is to have an FFXI sort of claim system where the first person, and their group by extension, to take an action on a mob has exclusive stabbin' rights to that mob until they decide to relinquish them.

I honestly prefer that claim system, flawed as it is, to FFXIV's, where anyone can attack pretty much any mob, which just results in everything of any import in the overworld being uncerimoniously facerolled in 30 seconds by an inelegant horde. Various bosses in FFXIV will have some enrage-like insta-kill timer where if you haven't killed it in X amount of time, it murderizes you in one shot. That is annoying and cheap, and makes one wonder why the boss didn't just OPEN with that attack. It makes you very aware you're playing an Ascending Number Grinding Simulator rather than having fun.