Archer Ability Suggestions

Discussion in 'Archer Class' started by Preston, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

Hello all,

At the current moment I am looking to finalize a good majority of spells for each class. However, there's always room for suggestions. Before I post any comprehensive lists of abilities I would like to offer up the chance for ability suggestions. If there's a spell or game mechanic related to the Archer that you would love to see in the game let me know by posting below.

All classes will have Offensive Abilities, Passive Abilities, and Active Buff/debuff abilities.

-Preston

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
  2. Muppeteer

Muppeteer Lore Writer Staff Member

Not a fan of pets on archers i.e. hunter style archers

Traps and/or poisons which can be applied to arrows are logical for applying effects to targets such as sleep or apply dots and bleeds etc

Some for of hamstring i.e. shot that causes the enemy to limp i.e. a slow target

Possibly a long range power shot that takes time to cast and does more damage as an opener maybe. Possibly with a chance to stun? i.e. takes a long draw

Some form of short range quick shot that does less damage

Some form of aoe like rain of arrows

A melee attack/push back that does a small amount of damage with a possible chance to stun. Usable while a bow is equiped to gain some range (with a cooldown applied)

Maybe a leap/step back to move out of melee range to allow use of bow (possibly with a cooldown?)

As a party skill some form of campfire skill that applies buffs to party members while resting by the fire. These could effect recharge rates, stamina levels etc and have a timer on them so they wear off over time.

I'll put this here but it applies to all combat for all classes...

For me a global cooldown mechanic is the surest way to kill any positive feel combat has. Individual cooldowns are ok but global is so frustrating and provides no fluidity to fights.

3. Preston

Preston Administrator Staff Member

We're going to add in some charge abilities. So the longer you charge your shot, potentially the longer the distance, and certainly the more damage it will do.

There will be a dodge mechanic in the game for all classes. On top of that I will put an evade spell in the archer tree, a way to quick attack and displace yourself back a short distance.

-Preston

4. Albane

Albane New Member

Before worrying about skills for each class, you should Venn diagram out their location in the trinity. Will this archer class be a dps class with some support, support class with some dps, or a purely dps class? Will the dps be focused more on single target or AoE damage?

I always like this chart for getting an idea of which skills a class should have. https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/0433/50/1446137460297.png

5. Kolmik

Kolmik New Member

I usually play the archer class in most mmos, every now and then however i play healer and rouge etc, im hoping that with the archer class there will be some gap closing skills like teleport and back flip to make mobility more possible.

In Archeage (a mmo i sunk at least a thousand hours into) they had skills that you could teleport left or right depending on what you choose. main question is what is the mobility aspect of archer going to be like?

6. Laurence

Laurence Member

If we're going for realism it seems fitting that Archers have a few DoT attacks such as Burning Arrow (Burn), Barbed Arrow (Bleed) and Broad Arrow (Daze).

I also love a trap! But use Guild Wars 1 traps for decent examples, not stinky WoW. There were certain events which you would spec specifically to use only traps and, like many awesome GW skills, a lot of them synergise with each other.